Did a "marketing" campaign for their Enterprise 2.0 rollout.??
Qualcomm is usingWordPress, Yammer, Qwiki, Qmark, go/, QForum.
A good way to get quick answers to questions.
A good way to get people throughout a company (regardless of where they may be located) to collaborate.
A way for??people who don't know each other to meet and share common interests.
A way to promote your training classes/sessions.??
A way to send out information after the training event.
It can be a virtual water cooler.
Micro-blogging is a great way to send a quick message to many people.
Questions:?? Does micro-blogging really count as learning?
Bershin & Associates Research Bulletin, 2009, Vol. 4, Issue 36
How to implement:
Find a sponsor and get buy-in
Think about:?? budget, internal vs external, gather requirements (include other departments), and do some research/investigate vendors.
Qualcomm chose Yammer because how accessible it is on various mobile devices, browsers, and other social media apps.
- Some people just won't get it.?? And that's ok.
- Remain objective.?? Don't evangelize too much.
- Legal challenges/intellectual property issues may arise.
- Electronic media policies may need to be updated.
- Remember that the success of these systems isn't always based on numeric data.
- Keep security in mind.
How is this different from IM??? It is a quick message to one person where micro-blogging is quick message to many.?? Plus you can't see any trends in IMs.
Qualcomm has had zero incidents with their Yammer account.
Tips for a Successful Implementation
- Begin with a grassroots approach.
- Hold informal training sessions.
- Find a vocal group of beta testers.
- Don't set strict rules.
- Constantly monitor user feedback and make changes as needed.
- Communicate the "story" of micro-blogging
- Use micro-blogging as a back channel during training.
- Contests, quizzes, giveaways, sneak peeks.
- Partner with internal departments.
Top Uses of Micro-blogging at Qualcomm
- Community Building
- Bridging silos and distances
- Continuous status updates
- Real time chat
- Industry research and news
- Internal marketing
- Increase sphere of influence
Use hashtags so people can search for specific topics.?? Qualcomm has someone who posts management tips and uses a hashtag so they are easily searched.
BJ and John are showing a lot of great ways to use Yammer as listed above.
What's the ROI of a 24/7 fully-networked, 100% connected workforce?
- Knowledge Experts/SMEs emerged
- Brought groups together over common topics
- Bridged silos
- Led to the update of official eMedia policy
Moral of Story
- Partner, partner, partner
- Educate, educate, educate
- Succeed or fail cheap and fast
- Provide an Enterprise 2.0 alternative or people will find an unauthorized way
- Micro-blogging is changing the way Qualcomm learns, works, develops products
Awesome presentation!?? A lot of great take aways that can be implemented the moment I get back!